In the recent past, curved treadmills have become increasingly popular among fitness enthusiasts looking to enhance their workout routines. Unlike regular treadmills, curved treadmills are non-motorized and have a concave design to help you control your pace by adjusting your stride and speed.
Curved treadmills provide a more intense workout and are great for speed training. But are curved treadmills better for you? Here’s what you need to know about curved treadmills, along with a list of the best curved treadmills on the market.
What is a curved treadmill?
A curved treadmill is a modern, non-motorized concave-shaped running device that allows you to run or walk on it using natural human movement. This treadmill doesn’t rely on electricity and has no top speed, resembling outdoor running.
The machine is designed to use the horizontal and vertical contours, pulling the belt down and back from running or walking stride, thus eliminating the need for an electric motor.
How does a curved treadmill work?
A curved treadmill works with a combination of friction, gravity, and exploration of the forces during running. During the downstroke backward, the body weight and foot literally pull the tread back and down, which is possible because of the curved shape of the treadmill. Running on the curve can help some fitness users and athletes reduce the stress on their legs from vertical ground reaction forces.
Is a curved treadmill better for you?
Yes. A curved treadmill is a great choice for anyone looking for a walking or running machine. Here are some key benefits of a curved treadmill.
- Better workout in less time: With a curved manual treadmill, you can get a more effective training session compared to a motorized treadmill. Curved treadmills can burn more calories compared to electric ones. You’ll engage more muscle groups by pushing yourself.
- Super durable: Since it has fewer moving parts compared to a motorized model, a curved treadmill has fewer chances of breaking down. A curved treadmill can serve you for 10 to 15 years with the right maintenance.
- You can set them up anywhere: You don’t need a power cord to operate these treadmills. Therefore, you’ll not have to worry about setting it near a power cord. Additionally, it will save on energy bills.
- Safer than electric treadmills: With an electric treadmill, you have to move the speed setting one button press at a time to reduce the speed. This is not the case with a curved treadmill. Just stop, and the belt will slow down when you want to stop.
- Great for running than a flat manual treadmill: Flat non-motorized treadmills are ideal for walking, making them ideal for a standing deck or watching TV. However, they have a max speed of 4 MPH, making it problematic for running. Fortunately, the arc design in a curved treadmill allows it to move faster, making it a great choice for running.
Are curved treadmills hard to use?
Curved treadmills allow you to work harder than motorized treadmills. This is because a curved treadmill uses the friction of your foot and body weight to move the belt rather than the motor.
Best Curved Treadmill Reviews
The Assault Fitness AirRunner is one of the most popular curved treadmills on the market today. Thanks to its impressive features and durable design, this curved treadmill is ideal for running and walking. This treadmill is designed to suit up to 350 pounds, thanks to a steel frame and a slat belt rated at 150,000 miles. If you’re looking for a product that can handle intense training, the AirRunner is for you. Assault backs this treadmill with a five-year warranty.
- 350lbs weight capacity
- Steel frame
- 280-pound item weight
- Built-in transport wheels
- Heavy-duty construction
- Low maintenance
- You cannot save your workouts on the display
This curved treadmill is designed to give you the most natural run that a treadmill can guarantee. It has a compact design and built-in transport wheels, making it ideal for small spaces. The IN10CT Health Runner Curved Manual Treadmill has a dual-bearing system to help you switch from running to walking. With an impressive weight capacity of 400 pounds, you’re guaranteed that this machine will give you the comfort you need in your workouts. What’s more, it comes with a five-year warranty on frame and 3 years on parts.
- 17.61”x61” running surface
- 400lbs weight capacity
- Corrosion-resistant steel frame
- Slatted running belt
- Smooth and quiet belt
- Easy to assemble
- Durable construction
- Quite heavy
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable treadmill, go for the SB Fitness Equipment CT400. This curved treadmill comes with three levels of manual magnetic resistance, flexible stats, and an easy-to-read digital display designed to maximize shock absorption. Additionally, it has a handle and transport wheels for easy transportation and storage.
- 3 levels of assistance
- Quick speed adjustments
- Digital display
- Easy to get started
- Easy to store
- Versatile workouts
- Amazing customer service
You don’t need to work out in the rain/snow or the scorching sun. Curved treadmills allow you to keep up with your workouts and burn extra calories in the comfort of your home. You don’t have to spend a fortune; pick one from above and invest in your health for years to come.